In my recent review of Dr Gayes healthy shakes I make a brief mention of Tim Ferriss’ book, the 4-hour-body diet. It’s been 6 weeks now that I follow the advice of the book, lost something like 11 pounds and I have to say.. I am a huge fan! It literally changed my perspective on diet and exercise..
The book is really huge, contains tons on information and I really don’t know where to start from.. It covers many topics and the main concept is how to get optimal results by investing the least amount of time needed. Some of the topics covered include diet, exercise and sex…
The Diet & My Results
The diet proposed in the book is an Atkins variation. There are no caloric limits and you are allowed to eat as much as you want from certain groups of food like meat, green vegetables, lentils and beans. Carb-rich foods like bread, rice, corn and fruits are a big NO-NO. Dairy products are also discouraged except for a small piece of cottage everyday.
The great thing about this book is that it encourages you to not follow certain aspects of the diet if you are not 100 % comfortable with them. And that’s what I did. Personally I love having milk in the morning. But milk is not allowed so I looked for an alternative. The obvious answer is Kefir. Kefir is a fermented milk product that has much less carbs (lactose) than milk. Tim also recommends to avoid fruits. I still have one a day, a big apple or a banana.
Did I mention that you are also allowed to have 2 glasses of red wine every day?
A nice touch to Tim’s diet is the cheat day. Once a week you are allowed to anything and as much as you like. He also gives some sound advice on how to avoid putting weight during this day. Some of this advice includes 2 minutes of exercise before each meal (to induce your body to store carbs in the form of glucose and not fat), plenty of yerba tea coffee and grapefruit juice. Personally I have decided to have a cheat day only once every 14 days, because I have a dairy dosage and a fruit every day.
Does the diet work? Heck yeah! I have lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks. True some of this is water weight but I am sure that I have lost at least 5 pounds of pure fat. And you know what the great thing is? When you get hungry you eat! Loosing weight is easy when you are not hungry!
I love the science behind the book
What I love about this book is that it’s like 90 % pure science. Almost every claim is properly cited from a clinical study or clinical trial. And for the rest 10 % Tim tells you, “look man I tried this and I think it works. Give it a try you have nothing to lose!”
And this is where Tim’s book really stands out. There is no bullshit that somebody made out of his head. And most diets out there are like that. No science no nothing. Just some crap somebody imagined to make a quick buck.
Another great thing about the book is that the first 100 pages or something have one purpose. To explain you how your body responds to food, why the majority of diets fail in the long term, why the calories in calories out is a myth etc. This introductory part is very well written and will give you the much needed mental boost to start and stick to a diet plan.
Some other things I liked
– As I aforementioned, Tim’s book isn’t only about diet. I really loved the part about cold-showers and I have implemented them in my daily life. Now 2-3 hours before I sleep I get a 10 mins cold shower. Initially I hated them but now I am addicted! They have greatly helped with my mood and I sleep much better.
– The exercise chapter. Tim has made a great job compiling the most time-efficient workouts. They will help you get a much a better physique and don’t really require that much time.
I really enjoyed the book and it did help lose weight and make certain healthy lifestyle changes. It’s true that some of Tim’s claims (e.g. how he gain 34 Lbs of lean muscle mass in 28 days) are ridiculous but other than that I think it is a great book for someone who wants to make a fresh start.